How-To Tuesday: Matte your nails

Shineless nails. It’s all about Matte. This was all the rage in Michigan last fall, and apparently it’s just popping up everywhere else right now. I figured since I have already been through this trend I could give you all some tips!


Let me just tell you that matte nails do not last long at all. There is a good chance you won’t even make it three days. Just a heads up.


Here is how to go matte

these are not my nails


Start with a base coat: base coats help polish stay put, and also keep your nails from discoloring.


Different ways to do matte:

You can buy Matte Polishes by OPI. They don’t have that many out there, and chances are if you love OPI you probably already own one of the matte polishes in a gloss.
You don’t need to ditch your favorite shiny colors to wear this trend: Essie has a product called Matte About You. That’s what I use on my nails when I want the matte look. Here you start with a base coat, polish your nails your desired color (two coats), and then polish Matte About You (one coat) over your nails. This will give your nails a matte look, and you can use any polish you want to get that desired matte look. You can also do fun things with half the nail matte and half gloss, and so on.

When using Matte OPI or Matte About You: you NEVER put on a top coat, that adds shine and defeats the purpose!


Try this fun mani: Pick a color and matte your entire nail, then brush a clear top coat along the tip. It’s a fun take on the French manicure!
these are not my nails


Need more help with this trend? Leave comments or questions here! You can also email me at: fashionmeetsfood[at]yahoo[dot]com